Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Camping

We've been camping a few times this summer, which has been surprisingly awesome.  The girls love it and I love it so much I daydream about when we can do it again, not because I'm Mrs. NatureGirl.  Hardly.  But it's the one time our family spends three whole days together with no cell phones, no internet, no tv, no electronics at all - and we all end up having a blast.  (It's also the only time my loving partner can relax and not get all antsy, because you know what there is for him to fix around the house?  NOTHING.  Because we're not in a house.  Sure, he spends a weird amount of time gathering and reorganizing the fire wood situation (at one point I thought he might try to build us a log cabin) but otherwise I can actually see him taking a deep breath and letting his angst out and it is wonderful.)

So, for Addie's birthday we joined the sister and brother-in-law and their adorable baby for a camping trip by the river, and this is her happy face when we got her in the car and told her we were camping.



Sneakily excited because she knows she's about to get really, really dirty and sticky.  Somehow s'mores end up everywhere but in her mouth and like a week later I'll find melted marshmallow in my bra.



Tula does not wear clothes when we camp, she likes to get down with nature.  Except she still wears a diaper because homegirl will poop anywhere you're trying to stand.




This was our campsite.  So gorgeous!  However, I do not recommend camping by a river with a 15 month walker.  All she wanted to do was go headfirst into the water so there was never a second of peace.  There was one time where I took my eyes off her for 30 seconds to help set up the tent and when I looked up no one could find her and I swear to God I have never run or yelled so fast in my entire life.  I was like a drill sergeant yelling out orders, "Josh look behind those trees, Addie find your sister, Christina oh my god, Andy get in the water there, I'm jumping in here EVERYBODY MOVE RIGHT NOW BEFORE MY HEART EXPLODES!" I have never been so terrified in such a short amount of time.  Luckily right before I dove into the river in all my clothes Tula came strolling by us out of NOWHERE.  The girl might be a witch.









Taking a stroll together.  Melting hearts everywhere.



This is by far my favorite picture ever taken.  
Tula's about to eat that rock she's holding, Addie's disgusted things are taking so long as I am so happy to be out and practicing swinging my locks for my upcoming Pantene hair commercial aimed at pregnant, unshowered women everywhere.



Escapee.




Me and the birthday girl at 6am.  
What's a blog for if I can't post horrifying pictures of myself?


Tula relaxing with her dad.



The kids decided they had to sit on the raft the entire time Uncle Andy was trying to pump it up.  They're very helpful.



Headed right for the water.  *sigh*




So, we might have one or two more camping weekends this summer left in us, and I can't wait.  I will however be outfitting my children in full floating gear even if we camp in the desert.  You never know what Tula will find when left to her own devices.





No comments:

Post a Comment