Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Conversation Starter

Having kids is like the universal ice breaker.  I have talked to more strangers in the last two years than I have my entire life.  And I can honestly say it's all been positive.  Even if people aren't in love with my kids on sight, even if they don't find their shrill screams adorable, they will at the very least offer me a nod of condolence, or a small sigh and a "Hang in there.  It gets better."

And that's what's amazing about the human race.  People making eye contact with a stranger just to let them know they're not alone.  And sometimes you just need that.  Today, for example, I was in the public bathroom at Barnes and Noble dealing with a Tula poop situation and she started screaming bloody murder while flailing her limbs, all four of which somehow got poop all over them within seconds, which made me scream, which made her scream more, which made Addie scream because she didn't know why we were all screaming.

When we finally exited the stall, a woman who had entered at prime-time scream-time said, "Well, aren't these just the prettiest little girls I've ever seen."

And that made me cry.

Not only did she not get upset at me for making her bathroom break torturous, but she then complimented us?  Maybe she was drunk, but I don't care.  It made me so grateful I almost hugged her.  But I hadn't washed my hands yet, so I refrained and just stood there smiling like a dumb idiot while my pretty little girls got impatient with me and lost their ever loving shit.  Again.

And then she said, "What beautiful eyes." As they were both wailing.  And walked out, because I mean c'mon, wouldn't you?

And they do.  They really do have beautiful eyes.  After people say that they always look up to me to compliment my beautiful blue eyes as well, and then stop awkwardly because I don't have blue eyes.  And so they ask if it's from their father.  I say no, but the mailman was gorgeous.




Gorge.


Goofball.


Happiest baby on the block.  Unless my milk is running low.  Then it's screamiest baby on the block.  If girlfriend doesn't get her milk fast enough she is louder than a jet engine.



Freshly fed and totally excited about her new seat!  


The truth is they get their eyes from their grandmas.  They both have beautiful blue eyes.  Lucky ladies, all four of them.



No comments:

Post a Comment